Read Time: 2 minutes
- Introduction of withholding taxes on winnings from betting.
- Reintroduction of road tolls.
- 2.5 % increase in VAT to 15%( with the decoupled system in place, the effective rate will be 21.9%).
- Vehicle Income Tax and Income Tax Stamp to be reviewed and increased.
- Upper limit of the graduated rate for personal income tax has been increased to 35%.
- Introduction of withholding tax on gains from realization of assets and liabilities.
- The optional 15% rate for individuals for gains on realization to be reviewed( increasing the rate).
- 1% concessional rate for entities enjoying tax holidays has been increased to 5%
- Implementation of minimum chargeable income system for entities with concessional rate.
- Loss carried forward provisions are to be unified (used to be 5 years for entities in priority sectors and 3 years for other entities).
- Deductibility of foreign exchange losses to be restricted to actual losses.
- Revision of excise tax on cigarettes and tobacco products to reflect ECOWAS protocols ( the ECOWAS protocol requires $0.02 dollars per cigarette or not less than 50% ad valorem rate)
- Introduction of taxation on electronic smoking devices.
- Introduction of taxation on liquids which were not taxed.
- Increase in excise tax on spirits above that of beers.
- Full abolishment of the benchmark discount policy at the port.
- Introduction of self clearing system at port( this will help track individuals who do not pay taxes since Tax Clearance Certificates will be needed before clearing)
- National Fiscal Stabilization Levy will be converted to Growth and Sustainability Levy to cover all entities. Category A entities are to pay 5% on their profit before tax( Category A entities are those already paying the national stabilization levy and six new sectors to be included)
Category B entities are to pay 2.5% on their profit before tax (Category B entities are all other entities)
Category C entities are to pay 1% of their total production ( Category C entities are those in the extractive sector: they still fall in Category A)
- E-levy rate has been reduced to 1% with the removal of the daily GHS 100 threshold
- Exchange losses on Capital Assets are to be capitalized and not deductible
- Review of the exemption regime of the free zone entities
- Exclude unrealized exchange losses from deduction
- Tax waivers are on hold
- Waiver of tax on withdrawals from tier 3 pension contribution for individuals who lose their job permanently within the 10 years window.